Author Topic: Submarines and BAE Systems  (Read 323 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Submarines and BAE Systems
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »
  I recently came across an article in a Cumbrian free magazine,(in cumbria April 2019 edition),explaining why the magazine had voted BAE Systems number one organization of the month. I was surprised and very impressed with what I read.
Our new super carrier has had considerable publicity over the past couple of years, (not all of it good), but as far as conversions about our service goes,it does tend to have hogged the lime light some what. The submarines being constructed in Barrow-in Furness today, are said to be, in terms of complexity akin to the building of space shuttles.There has been massive development in the old dockyard areas,and there is currently in the region of 10,000 people either directly involved in the building work, or in the 98 Cumbrian companies involved in the supply chain. BAE has constructed a twenty five million Skills and Knowledge Academy to produce a highly skilled work force, for the future. Their recruitment adverts advise that they need at least 280 apprentices this year alone, offering long term jobs for both apprentices and graduates. The article is too long to be fully reproduced here, but Googling Bae systems, opens up another side of our (Potential) Modern Royal Navy.
   It should not be overlooked

A finished boat rolling out . An Astute I think.    (wonder which end the boiler room is ?)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 05:46:26 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Submarines and BAE Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »

In the summer of 1942 my family, (mother and two sisters) were living in Barrow-in-Furness, I was due to arrive sometime soon. My father was away at war, and the Germans were  as was their habit at that time,fairly regularly dropping bombs on, or around the Barrow shipyards. The story I grew up with,was that my mother and sisters had gone to the cinema to watch a Chaplin film when
an air raid started. When they emerged from the shelters, our house was just a big hole in the road,having had a Arial mine dropped on it. The family upped and went to Fleetwood,located fortunately just round the coast,and from where the family originated. To the best of my knowledge the Germans never bothered bombing Fleetwood, I remember as a boy being a bit puzzled about that.
When I made a business trip to Barrow in the mid nineteen eighties, not much seemed to have changed since the end of the war! except that the Dockyard seemed to me to be virtually derelict. If BAE has taken the whole town over, it could only be a good thing in my view, keep the subs rolling !! Well done BAE
 Just read that BAE Systems Submarines have 10,000 people working for it, most directly with others in its supply chain that includes 98 Cumbrian companies. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:40:03 PM by stokerstan »