Author Topic: How to get through lock downs.  (Read 453 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
How to get through lock downs.
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »
 Lock downs are not a new thing. I do not mean "Lock In's" where you get to sip drinks all night, but what we have to do to try to dodge THE LERGY, without getting twitchy.

First really great idea. Widely used if your stuck down the engine room plodding up and down the Persian Gulf, doing a steady 96 rev's for six weeks.Note this is good down the boiler room as well.
Take one pussers torch, every one has one >:( Dismantle it down to its absolute basic parts, and lay them down on the bottom of an up turned doby bucket, easily acquired if you have not got one.
     Check who the dimmest stoker is on your watch, and show him the dismantled torch, being amazed how many bits it needs to make it work. Next discuss how assembling these torches must be quite difficult, and suggest it must take an awful lot of time to get it right. Have difficulty putting your torch together,and accept his help in in putting it back together.Be amazed how easy he made the reassembly appear, get him to take it apart so you can time him in the task. Be very amazed at his speed.Next watch. Advise him you have been practicing assembling a torch, and you think you may be faster than him. Have a race. Be a little annoyed that he wins so easily! He wins the next three tries !!! you are obviously very annoyed and you challenge him !! staking your tot.!!!
         If your nice you let him have sipper of HIS tot..  Beware however there are stokers who are real experts at Pussers Torch assembly! Lots of practice gets you through through long watches.
 p.s. Of course the torch must light up to claim the win, the expert by sleigh of hand can easily nobble the torch spring etc.  ;D

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How to get through lock downs.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »

If you have no torch to take to bits, read !! :) :)

Best read.... Patrick O'Brian.  Master and Commander series. Master and Commander is first of twenty books all brilliant. Easily obtained second hand through Amazon average price (50p each)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:35:55 PM »
  Do take note of this.
 When in a lock down ensure that at least once a week you empty your wardrobe, spread out your suits shirts and perhaps even your undies, give them some light, and check them out.
It seems that such clothing when left in a dark place for extended period ( such as a lock down) the fabrics have been adversely affected,and THEY WILL HAVE SHRUNK... take my word for this.

If unconvinced,try on your good suit or blazer that have not seen daylight since last reunion !! you will see !! :o :o :o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:38:07 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:15:51 PM »

Some members may have noticed that a couple of us are bashing out lots of emails during this Corona period.Some members may find this an irritation, some have said they welcome them.

Anyone not amused with the funnies, let me know, I will not be offended in any way, and will desist.

Anyone with any good funnies, by all means pass them on. it may help to pass the time, particularly if your locked in on your own. Take Care out there, all things pass, but we want to be here when its gone. Any problems .... send me a mail, we may be able to help. Stokers are very clever people you know. !! ::) ::)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:10:06 PM »

Here is a great idea. PUT SOMETHING ON THE WEBSITE -- Everyone one has some story to tell about the ship, put it up here.
    If you have a longer bit of info send it in to the Flat Top editor, don't worry about grammar or spelling, we can proof read it for you, (it is understood that some branches may well be illiterates,
that is another reason why you need a stoker for a sea daddy).
   Topsey Turner of News Letter fame is always looking for stuff for his monthly circular ! send him anything you have, (he is a seaman, and will believe just about anything you wish to tell him).

I appreciate that Web Sites are rather old hat now, but remember the Twitter stuff is only here today and gone tomorrow, this site is our only Victorious archives.