Author Topic: Belated Reunion 2020  (Read 121 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Belated Reunion 2020
« on: August 27, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »
  Had a two night stay at the North Euston Hotel 24th /26 Aug.2020 to have a check on the current situation re pandemic The hotel has been checked out and is open for business.
  Hand cleanser, (gallons of it). Staff maintaining social distancing, in bars and restaurants (very professionally) politely, but firmly !! All restaurants have spaced tables, (the hotel has plenty of floor space). Bedrooms sanitised, and have no staff entry in place. Have a full detailed breakdown of all details concerning the subject of corona cleaning. All meals are waiter service, and the dinners first class still, and cooked to order.
   Had a couple of private meetings with manager, and the only restriction now in place is group numbers. He has permission to hold wedding parties etc for groups of no more than thirty(30) persons.
and seating must adhere to the social distancing rules.   
   We are good to go. I has spoken with the committee members who agree with me that the reunion is over due. I have contacted the hotel and requested availability of a three night  slot in October.
   More details when I get info back from hotel manager.
      Take care. Stan.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:04:35 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Belated Reunion 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
 After a short delay to sound out some opinions, it has been decided to hold an abbreviated/reunion/do/at the North Euston Hotel, 19th/20th/21 October.
I have had two discussions with the hotel management,and the dates were their recommendation. The hotel in ordinary circumstances, would be booked out.The Blackpool Illuminations normally commence at this time, and as the tram rides through the displays start and finish close to the hotel, families have traditionally booked in for an overnight stay for children's treats.
Blackpool has extended the illuminations period this year,until after New Year and the hotel has agreed to reserve us 20 rooms, in anticipation of a lower demand on these nights.
 The hotel has been surveyed for suitability to safely open, by the environmental agency, but with a limit of no more than 30 persons as a party booking. The rooms are all booked in my name, and the hotel will monitor for me numbers of members wishing to join us.
The postponed reunion details have been kept on the hotel's books. The costs of the event has remained unchanged for us.Deposits lodged are on record, and of course remain valid for this event.
Our private gala dinner room is available for us on Tuesday evening, silver service, cooked to order, fully served at table by covid aware staff. Breakfasts are similarly served completely by hotel staff who do maintain social distancing regulations. All rooms have been sanitised prior to your arrival. The rooms will not be entered during our stay by staff, UNLESS you have a problem. The main difference is that you will need to make up your own bed for the three nights. However should you require assistance, requiring staff intrusion, you will have to vacate your room for three hours !! that means sitting in the lounge, with free news paper, and a coffee whilst your room is sanitised by a trained cleaning squad. Any requests for tea/coffee/ milk refills will be supplied foc to you, in a goody box which is handed to you on request by reception staff.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:07:31 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
 Usual Details. Free car park at rear of hotel. Gala Dinner Tuesday. and .....Wednesday, being Trafalgar Day, we will of course be recognising this (probably earlier in the day with a tincture of drink), but keeping drivers who may be on the road next day safe from breath test problems. The Victorious Cake ( a thing of great beauty) will be at the Tuesday dinner, as will be the raffle, disposal of said raffle funds to be decided at dinner.   Trams will be running (social distancing has been introduced, and extra trams laid on right through illumination period).
 Members who booked with the hotel for the original reunion, will automatically have a place for this "reunion". I am proposing that we do not invite any local guests until we are satisfied that our membership has booked. I am aware that 30 persons does not seem many, but at the count back on the original mini-meet, I believe that 16 persons booked for the reunion,the Gala dinner numbers swelled by people only staying for the meal.We have already had a couple of members unable to attend for various reasons, so I feel we will cope within the regulations.
  Members wishing to attend, please advise the hotel. Ring 01253 876525 and State you want to book for HMS VICTORIOUS MEETING. any problem at all,or anything you are not clear on please contact me on   0113 2555562. The receptionists seem good, but I have been dealing directly with the manager, and can generally answer details for you, hotel staff still operating on  reduced numbers.Masks and face covering are not required in the hotel, but local shops request they are worn on their premises.The museum and Affinity Outlet were fully open.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:13:17 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
 I expect to have a further meeting with the manager of the North Euston hotel before October. We will be discussing seating plans, menu, and some presentations we propose to make to the hotel
 The museum,market,and shopping malls are open, but when we visited the lifeboat station, they had not then re-opened to the public, I have since heard that they may well have done so now, but will check. Bus services seem to be running as normal as are tram car services. I will be checking this nearer the reunion date.
    The hotel issues us with a simple "do and don't" list at check in, it is mostly common sense about practising hand washing and using the provided sanitising gels etc. The manager did mention several times that the hotel is spot checked on an ad hoc basis, to ensure regulations are being adhered to. On our stay we did adhere to all the rules, and found nothing inconvenient.

I have recently been without communications, some fools in a stolen car wiped out a major junction box. Everything now reinstalled.
Please note that my phone number is 01132 555562. It was misprinted in Flat Top, and people keep shouting at me !!   Stay Safe but lets start living a little bit, but safely.

AS WINSTON CHURCHILL SAID "THIS MAY NOT BE THE BEGINNING OF THE END, BUT IT IS SURELY THE END OF THE BEGINNING"  The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:16:32 PM by stokerstan »