Author Topic: Belated Reunion 2020  (Read 355 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Belated Reunion 2020
« on: August 27, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »
  Had a two night stay at the North Euston Hotel 24th /26 Aug.2020 to have a check on the current situation re pandemic The hotel has been checked out and is open for business.
  Hand cleanser, (gallons of it). Staff maintaining social distancing, in bars and restaurants (very professionally) politely, but firmly !! All restaurants have spaced tables, (the hotel has plenty of floor space). Bedrooms sanitised, and have no staff entry in place. Have a full detailed breakdown of all details concerning the subject of corona cleaning. All meals are waiter service, and the dinners first class still, and cooked to order.
   Had a couple of private meetings with manager, and the only restriction now in place is group numbers. He has permission to hold wedding parties etc for groups of no more than thirty(30) persons.
and seating must adhere to the social distancing rules.   
   We are good to go. I has spoken with the committee members who agree with me that the reunion is over due. I have contacted the hotel and requested availability of a three night  slot in October.
   More details when I get info back from hotel manager.
      Take care. Stan.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:04:35 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Belated Reunion 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
 After a short delay to sound out some opinions, it has been decided to hold an abbreviated/reunion/do/at the North Euston Hotel, 19th/20th/21 October.
I have had two discussions with the hotel management,and the dates were their recommendation. The hotel in ordinary circumstances, would be booked out.The Blackpool Illuminations normally commence at this time, and as the tram rides through the displays start and finish close to the hotel, families have traditionally booked in for an overnight stay for children's treats.
Blackpool has extended the illuminations period this year,until after New Year and the hotel has agreed to reserve us 20 rooms, in anticipation of a lower demand on these nights.
 The hotel has been surveyed for suitability to safely open, by the environmental agency, but with a limit of no more than 30 persons as a party booking. The rooms are all booked in my name, and the hotel will monitor for me numbers of members wishing to join us.
The postponed reunion details have been kept on the hotel's books. The costs of the event has remained unchanged for us.Deposits lodged are on record, and of course remain valid for this event.
Our private gala dinner room is available for us on Tuesday evening, silver service, cooked to order, fully served at table by covid aware staff. Breakfasts are similarly served completely by hotel staff who do maintain social distancing regulations. All rooms have been sanitised prior to your arrival. The rooms will not be entered during our stay by staff, UNLESS you have a problem. The main difference is that you will need to make up your own bed for the three nights. However should you require assistance, requiring staff intrusion, you will have to vacate your room for three hours !! that means sitting in the lounge, with free news paper, and a coffee whilst your room is sanitised by a trained cleaning squad. Any requests for tea/coffee/ milk refills will be supplied foc to you, in a goody box which is handed to you on request by reception staff.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:07:31 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
 Usual Details. Free car park at rear of hotel. Gala Dinner Tuesday. and .....Wednesday, being Trafalgar Day, we will of course be recognising this (probably earlier in the day with a tincture of drink), but keeping drivers who may be on the road next day safe from breath test problems. The Victorious Cake ( a thing of great beauty) will be at the Tuesday dinner, as will be the raffle, disposal of said raffle funds to be decided at dinner.   Trams will be running (social distancing has been introduced, and extra trams laid on right through illumination period).
 Members who booked with the hotel for the original reunion, will automatically have a place for this "reunion". I am proposing that we do not invite any local guests until we are satisfied that our membership has booked. I am aware that 30 persons does not seem many, but at the count back on the original mini-meet, I believe that 16 persons booked for the reunion,the Gala dinner numbers swelled by people only staying for the meal.We have already had a couple of members unable to attend for various reasons, so I feel we will cope within the regulations.
  Members wishing to attend, please advise the hotel. Ring 01253 876525 and State you want to book for HMS VICTORIOUS MEETING. any problem at all,or anything you are not clear on please contact me on   0113 2555562. The receptionists seem good, but I have been dealing directly with the manager, and can generally answer details for you, hotel staff still operating on  reduced numbers.Masks and face covering are not required in the hotel, but local shops request they are worn on their premises.The museum and Affinity Outlet were fully open.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:13:17 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
 I expect to have a further meeting with the manager of the North Euston hotel before October. We will be discussing seating plans, menu, and some presentations we propose to make to the hotel
 The museum,market,and shopping malls are open, but when we visited the lifeboat station, they had not then re-opened to the public, I have since heard that they may well have done so now, but will check. Bus services seem to be running as normal as are tram car services. I will be checking this nearer the reunion date.
    The hotel issues us with a simple "do and don't" list at check in, it is mostly common sense about practising hand washing and using the provided sanitising gels etc. The manager did mention several times that the hotel is spot checked on an ad hoc basis, to ensure regulations are being adhered to. On our stay we did adhere to all the rules, and found nothing inconvenient.

I have recently been without communications, some fools in a stolen car wiped out a major junction box. Everything now reinstalled.
Please note that my phone number is 01132 555562. It was misprinted in Flat Top, and people keep shouting at me !!   Stay Safe but lets start living a little bit, but safely.

AS WINSTON CHURCHILL SAID "THIS MAY NOT BE THE BEGINNING OF THE END, BUT IT IS SURELY THE END OF THE BEGINNING"  The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:16:32 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 09:09:41 PM »

Well here we are! 27/09/20.   Just when I thought it safe to go back into the water, or into a "lock In" at Fleetwood, along comes another set of instructions on how to fight the bug !!

I am not sure of exactly where we stand at the present time re reunion, but I shall contact the hotel, and confirm matter at their end, and put out the results next week.

Anyone with any cunning plans re reunions , lockdowns, or anything else cunning, please email me. Do not get depressed, do not listen to nutters who have the sky falling down,
just take common sense precautions, keep clear of crowds and kids, and the next door neighbours particularly if they look ill !!! ???

I may just have a beautiful cake going spare if the worst case happens. ...  and a super raffle prize Any ideas for disposal ???   No rude relies please.

Offline Topsey

• Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
With Leeds and Blackpool looking dodgier by the minute I fear the worst although I've not given up hope yet. Should the worst come to disaster can I suggest the cake is donated as a gift to the hotel to give to staff/customers/lifeboat as a goodwill gesture from the association and the cost taken from funds and a new cake commissioned for when we can have our grand 3 days. Just saying

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:25 PM »

Arrr !!!  false news. Have obtained a full print out now from Leeds City Council (not the brightest knives in the drawer) but they insist that Leeds
 has not gone into lockdown. We are quite at liberty to go on holiday to Fleetwood (or anywhere else you fancy, as long as you stick to the government rules that are currently applying). Cathleen has it in writing. !!
   Social distancing, no going into other hotel rooms other than your own, and the hotel has full cleaning plans and table arrangements . ALL GOOD.
  Members going on their three day hols on the 19th will be given an advice sheet when they check in at the hotel reception.  Take Care Stay safe, and relax a little.

Full details will be sent out prior to the 19th.
      P.S. The cake is safe !!  Watch this space.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:21:19 AM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »

Very Belated reunion / Meet.... As most of us have probably heard, there is very likely to be an announcement on the 12th Oct. from the government, probably concerning
our pandemic!! It is being suggested that hotels may be subject to tighter controls, and possible curbs on traffic !! but to date this is still all speculation.
   The hotel was ready to receive us (as individuals), the cake man has the cake waiting to be iced.

As soon as we get a definitive statement that allows us or not, to have our three day holiday break, safely, and legally, at Fleetwood an email /phone call will be flashed out to all, and will be on the web at this site.

Keep fingers crossed, there is little else we can do.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »

Watched latest announcement re Covid restrictions, sorting through same. Watch this space. S.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 11:21:08 PM »
   23oo hours !! Reunion looking shaky, will be speaking to the hotel manager tomorrow morning. Fleetwood is showing to be in the middle of the red area, but to date I have still not been able
to obtain specific regulations for either Fleetwood or Leeds !! but at this point, I would not be packing bags yet. :-[ :'(

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »
 As many of you will now be aware, we have decided to shelve the reunion that we were hoping to have on the 19th oct.
   Having consulted with a number of members, it seems to have been the consensus that with the current restrictions in place, and the likelihood of more to come, the reunion we want will not be possible.  The hotel has gone out of its way to try to accommodate us, but a Gala dinner worth attending simply is not permitted, social distancing greatly inhibits raffle, and even basic conversation between members would be very difficult. Fleetwood is shown up on the television virus maps as being located right in the centre of the high virus area, and even though I was advised that
the town has not any record of corvid problems, I personally felt that many members would be uncomfortable attending. I also personally felt that it would be irresponsible putting our members, (who are not now spring chickens) under any pressure to meet up in the middle of the pandemic for a not very good do.
  The hotel is open for business should anyone wish to have the break, phone the hotel they will reserve you a good room, at the present time the restaurant is still operating.
  The manager has agreed to maintain our reunion booking for the future, I will relay any further news re a 2021 reunion maybe spring ? but we will have a reunion come hell or high water. we are after all
   VICTORIOUS.   S.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:00:19 PM by stokerstan »