Author Topic: Run Ashore in Aden  (Read 3779 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Run Ashore in Aden
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »
 >:( Who remembers it ? It would certainly be high on my list of places I wouldn't want to go on a run ashore again in, and this was before they started shooting at us ! The goats seemed friendly enough though,... I think  ::)Still it got us out of the boiler-room for a watch or so .

Offline Dave

• Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
Re: Run Ashore in Aden
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »

I bought a camera at Aden    still have it :)      but no longer used   Dave

Offline Gary

• Petty Officer
  • Tiger Balm Gardens Hong Kong 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »
65-67 commission had a run ashore at the beach club. Can't remember a lot about the place other than it was a bit of a dump. One of our oppos did however get a trip to crater city dont ask me how or why. He came back safely but said the plac was like ticking bomb as the Brits were pulling out at the time.
I remember being told at the time and had it confirmed years later by checking on the internet that "Mad Mitch" of the Argle and Suthrland highlanders was the last British soldier to leave and apparantly there exists a photo of him out there somewhere which shows him stepping into a RN Sea King (possibly from the VIC as we were embarking troops at the time) giving the local population a Winston Churchill salute "fingers reversed" which summed up what he thought of the place and inhabitants at the time.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:10:03 AM »
 8)Hi Gary yes Aden was no great shakes !If I have it right my first visit was March 61,and it was made worse by the fact that we had just had a spell in Cape Town, what fantastic runs there, Brandy and orange juice,beaches seventh heaven !! Then we got to Aden,we took on water, and it tasted awful and you couldn't wash with it. However the Vics photographers (who it seems would snap anything) seemed to capture the mood of Aden for me,see below !! I know we went to Aden on other occasions, but I would have to do some research as to when it was.
 Now Mombasa! there's a place to have a run !! buy the wood carvings, drink in the Rainbow bar and other things. But thats another story for later! :-*
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:13:46 AM by stokerstan »

Offline Gary

• Petty Officer
  • Tiger Balm Gardens Hong Kong 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »
Stan
Some more photos in the gallery of Aden.
Cheers
Gary