Author Topic: First run ashore in Malta 1960  (Read 6716 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
First run ashore in Malta 1960
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Anchored in Grand Harbour! painted boats punting us ashore following all the three badge sea daddies down to the "Gut" with the boiled oil shops !! uniforms everywhere.Good run ashore even with our pay,six of us sharing a horse drawn garry? back to the steps for the boat back. Then stricken with the dreaded Malta dog !! still a good run though.
30 years later posh holiday to Malta,hotel offers film show and talk about history of Malta, and first bit of film shown was Victorious entering Malta 1960/61?. Took elderly in laws on this visit,touring round island constantly warning them "don't drink the water" they were fine, loved it , I went down with Malta dog !!
Still a good run! ;)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
Re: First run ashore in Malta 1960
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:00:58 PM »
Stan never been back but that bit of film I would like to see     if only  Dave

Offline Gary

• Petty Officer
  • Tiger Balm Gardens Hong Kong 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:28:06 AM »
Hi Stan/Dave
Regards runs ashore in Malta. I have posted a couple of Pics on the Gallery site that might remind you of the different transport methods getting ashore and around the Island
Cheers
Gary

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
 :D Someone probably Dave! came up with a Victorious disc of a visit to Malta it went down well, though the posh voice over got a bit of flack when it showed Jack going ashore in his whites in the bum boats, and returning looking just the same, and didn't actually mention the Gut! well worth viewing. 8)