Author Topic: HMS Victorious  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Victorious
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
Thanks to Save The Royal Navy      for the following

Kuwait 1961
British forces deployed to Kuwait to defend it against threatened Iraqi aggression. HMS Bulwark arrived with 42 RM Commando within 24 hours since good intelligence had put her in the right place and used its helicopters to deploy and support them. British troops flown into Kuwait by RAF transport with only what they stood up in – had to requisition vehicles and wait for RN amphibious shipping to bring in more. Strike carrier HMS Victorious took several days to arrive with her battle group from the South China Sea but brought the ‘complete package of power’ that subsequently dominated the area. A single RAF Hunter squadron had deployed to Kuwait from Bahrain but lacked fuel, ammunition, spares and most of all GCI radar coverage other than that provided by Bulwark. RAF transport being used to fly in troops so none available to support the Hunters which left once HMS Victorious arrived. The need for the RN to support RAF aircraft led to the second commando-carrier, Albion, being fitted with better surveillance radar (Type 965).                       

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »

Remember it very well Dave !! We had had some great runs ashore, Cape Town, Aden and Singapore. I Remember we were on our way for my first visit to Hong Kong, when we turned about and headed for the Persian Gulf. I was not alone in being very disappointed as Ihad been advised of all the delights that were available and waiting there.
  Persian Gulf was very memorable but for all the wrong reasons... Very warm down the boiler rooms, very hot in the mess decks, red hot on the flight decks and never a sight of land for weeks (seven weeks I think it was).Very pleased when Centaur trundled up to relieve us, and off we went for a brilliant time in Mombasa.
  Does anyone out there remember the Silver Sands rest camp ? I think it was run by the RAF, we had a great time there for a week!!

The Chief Stoker promised all us younger Stokers that we would probable get a medal for our stalwart performance in the Gulf.... the water rationing the hot sun the dust...slinging hammocks on the cable deck, and getting hosed down by annyoying seamen who had not done the middle watch !!
       We never got a medal though, but we did make it to Hong Kong, what a great Commish that was.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 12:54:02 PM »
Silver Sands remember yes

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
Silver sands R+R,  I have some very vivid memories of the place, but it was a long time ago, and I am not certain that all I remember was totally true.
I remember that we slept in round huts without doors, in bunk beds, and during the night large white crabs wandered round  the floor ! There was a large round float anchored about a hundred yards off shore that you could swim to and sun bathe. Half a dozen of us were on the thing when a group of Manta Rays passed us, huge great things sort of lifting out of the sea and smacking down. We gave them plenty of time to pass before heading back to shore !! I remember a concrete disc, you could rent roller skates and try to skate round on it ! lost skin off my knees doing that.
I have no recollection of how we were fed, or by whom, but I do remember a Squaddy (possibly RAF) with stripes who was around, and I think you could buy cans of local beer from him at various times of the day. The sea and the beach were immaculate, and I would probably have enjoyed a couple of months there, but the boiler rooms called us back !! Great Days, some of the best.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:58:45 PM by stokerstan »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »
Vic Paper clipping 11th Nov 1967,  Thanks to Dave Taylor

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »

Good one Crash. Some very interesting items that i had certainly not heard of previously, particularly the details of American kit fitted to Vic in 43, ..but taken out when she went home.

The late Clarry Gibbs joined Vic on her return to Liverpool. and he was of course badly burned when the Kamikaze hit her in the Pacific. Clarry would have loved to see the this footage, he once told me he had virtually no memory the attack other than a shout immediately before the hit.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:28:00 PM by Dave »