Author Topic: HMS Victorious Medal  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Fran

• Ship's Cat
    • View Profile
HMS Victorious Medal
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am new and joined to find out more about the HMS Victorious Medal my great-uncle received.

At the beginning of World War 2, my great-uncle,Mills Anderson, was working in India as Managing Director on the British India Rubber Company. A Committee of twelve was formed to assist the war effort and Mills was appointed Chairman. The committee wanted to raise enough money for a war plane but failed, raising enough though for a war ship. This Ship was the HMS Victorious. All members of the committee were given a badge as a thank you for their efforts. I have my great-uncle's badge. I learned this information from my mother as Mills passed away when I was very young so I am not sure if it is 100% accurate. I would be interested in any information about or corrections to my knowledge of these events.

Thank you.

Regards and best wishes,

Fran

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Victorious Medal
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »

Hello Fran. I am very interested in this item, I had never heard about this matter, but was of course aware of the great fund raising efforts undertaken  by
many groups during the war. I have no idea how much would be required to finance the building of our ship, but it would (even in 1939) have been quite a considerable sum,
so I hope that between our association and yourself, we can dig out some more information.
 I would very much like a picture on our web of the badge you mention, it may provide some leads for us to follow up, and any further information you may have would be welcome.
Do stay in touch with this site, as anything we find will be displayed here.
    Thank you for the contact, good luck with your search.

Best regards  Stan   Chair of the Victorious Association.