Author Topic: Hull City of Culture 2017  (Read 1242 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Hull City of Culture 2017
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »

Had a day in Hull.

Offline Dave

• Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
Re: Hull City of Culture 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »

Had a day in Hull.

That good then

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »

Oh Crash, ye of little faith !!!

Had a Grand Day Out (as Wallace and Grommet might say) just having the usual problems of trying to reduce the size of my great pictures !!!! But Not quite sure about the Culture of Hull, but they have got some interesting stuff on display. The Maritime Museum, just by city hall, has some good stuff. A Huge stuffed Polar Bear is standing on the stairs, and the complete skeleton on a Whale goes through two rooms. There is some excellent inf about the days when Hull had a very big fleet of whalers, and the industry to support them, and later of course the deep sea fishing fleet. However the main Parish Church which seems to be in the middle of a major refurb, has some real gems on displays. I was surprised to read about the Hull Trawlers that sailed with the Falklands fleet, acting as sweepers and convoy guard ships right through the South Atlantic campaign. Not a draft I would have fancied !!and not a lot talked about. For anyone who has not been on a trawler, Hull have one open to the public The Arctic Corsair. Its all free, and looking round the vessel, one has to imagine what it would be like in a force eight gale. Anyway this interesting stuff will continue, I am heading east tomorrow for a meeting with some gentlemen who know a lot about trawlers, The Inshore Patrol Service.
Those of us who did the Chatham mini meet a couple of years back will remember I'm sure the unbelievable lines of graves in that Pembroke cemetery. I understand the veterans have been know to refer to themselves as the unknown navy. Hope I can get them a little better known, our modern navy may well have a lot to learn from them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:59:48 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:52:28 PM »
  Some snap shots. Please note these losses are from one trawler port !!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:01:06 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
Some more, bit of a struggle with the pics, but not giving up ..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:17:56 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »

Inshore Patrol at the Falklands !!!

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »

Hull is hoping that enough fishing skills have been retained in the city to enable Hull to train up a whole new generation of peolpe skilled in the fishing industry. With modern trawlers Hull is still in a position to bring back her fishing glory days, and is confident that fishing stocks can be sensibly regulated, and Britain can return to a self sufficient state again, with British fish, and chips !!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:38:46 PM by stokerstan »