Author Topic: Coventry City of Culture 2018.  (Read 615 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Coventry City of Culture 2018.
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »
    I had advised Britannia Hotel that we would be returning for our umpteenth reunion in 2018, and have confirmed this with Stacey. I suppose the powers that be, must have heard that we were regular visitors to the city, and it must have gone some way towards the City getting this accolade !!! I would hope that with all the nice grants that come with the title, the council manages to put in a decent car park for the Victorious 2018 visit......
but don't hold your breath shipmates. It could be interesting though. Hull did alright, and Liverpool are still cashing in, but the Coventry spoke person (is that the correct term) did not fill me with great excitement,mumbling about all manner of right on "P.C"  plans for the city. I am probably wrong, but hey it did not get my juices flowing.  We may have to head for Blackpool again !!!! it would serve them right eh ???? I will keep you advised as the news filters down.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:52:54 AM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Coventry City of Culture 2018.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
  Have now been assured by Stacey that there will be no problem with our booking for the 2018 reunion. I have the contract signed, and am pleased to advise that the prices we
have enjoyed for the past 5 years are to remain in place. Coach ok, happy hour ok, own rum ok.  Three Spires ... private . ok.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:15:20 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »

I asked Stacey some time ago if it was feasible to have the Saturday coach run to the Black Country Museum rather than the traditional RNA club. Have reminded Stacey on two further occasions that I had not yet received confirmation or otherwise. On the latest occasion she advised me that she was having difficulty getting the bus company to respond ? but assured me it would be sorted.
   I would be grateful to any member who may have cause to visit Coventry if they could just attempt to see if the car parking situation has improved from last year ?? and let me know.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »

A couple of my entries got wiped recently in a computer hick up, or something.But for those who did not get to read them before they vanished, here we are again.
 The car parking problems we feared have not transpired. A phone call to Coventry Council pointed us up the road past the Britannia, turning right at the road end. takes you to a long term car park.
  Grove Street Car Park. post code CV1 5PH. 179 spaces. Payment on exit.
  Saturday bus trip. Departing from Britannia front entrance 10.00 to Black Country Museum.We have negotiated special entry rates, and I believe it should be a good day out. We will have a guide meet us on arrival, who will give us a quick run round of the place, and some suggestions as to how to get the best from the visit. Lots of stuff on Google , and more details will be coming out soon.
  The committee is looking to enhance the visit for members, so watch this space. Don't miss this one.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:23:57 AM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:48:04 PM »

Booking forms for October reunion at Coventry. I have posted out about 50 forms for this years reunion. Topsey has attached same to his News letters, so many more circulations
 and we will be in danger of falling foul of the save the whale/tree/no crisp packets brigade. However if anyone reads this and has still not got one, email me and one will flash out to you.
     There has been some small disruptions to our reunion preparations, this year, with some tonker in Coventry Council building a huge lump of flats on our car park,but we have got round that, and the Saturday jolly took a
bit of phone patience, but that is cleared up now, and should be a good day out. So think about booking your room, and don't miss out.
   Any questions or problems ring us.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »

Time flies by, and we are eating up September. Reunion is the 5th October, and I hope that we are blitzing Britannia with room booking forms.Our mini-meet at Lowestoft went very well,and I think the charm of the town and the great people we met will be a life long memory. The Royal Naval Patrol Service members we met up with, and reminded us that we were not the only organisation that still drinks rum,also opened a small window into what fighting a war was like from the perspective of a very small ship.  I do not think that any of us who visited Sparrows Nest Museum could fail to be rather shocked that this history of sacrifice and courage and the massive loss of life,could be so little know about.

Offline Dave

• Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »
Sparrows Nest Museum

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »

Oh Dave there will be some "cross" old trawler men if it gets out that the RNPS museum has been nicked by Coventry, can't trust anyone these days  >:(