Author Topic: Flat Top resurrection  (Read 417 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Flat Top resurrection
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
   Our Victorious magazine, the famous Flat Top, has in the past been edited by some brilliant magazine editors, well educated gentlemen, men of talent. :o I hope we all  remember our old shipmate Mike Durkan, who produced some good stuff from his retreat in the South of Ireland, and even did the printing himself, despite having to go up into "No mans land! north of the boarder to buy ink. When Mike crossed the bar we lost a good shipmate. In recent times, the magazine was taken under the protection of determined Bryan Owen, and he continued to supply us with a gem of a read periodically, until ill health put a spoke in his wheel, and he had to lay down his pen.
    The role of editor is not one that can be filled easily ! It takes a brave chap to lay himself open to the abuse of shipmates who metaphorically bite lumps out of him for spelling errors, and for printing stuff intellectually beyond the ken of the average Jack. So... I have to announce that the next Flat Top is not being produced by anyone with any talent at all,a chap who has never edited anything in his life,and is really rubbish on computers.
     However rest assured there will be some exciting items in this magazine, in depth info about three drum boilers, unbelievable stories about old ships, and lots more.

A Bumper edition to look forward to. .......not sure just when this thing will see the light of day, but hey worth waiting for. The printer is waiting, just got to get it written  ;D

FOR INFO CONCERNING THE FT  put a message under here  :-*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:59:09 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Top resurrection
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:25:14 PM »

A start has been made in the production of the Next Flat Top. This does not mean it will be out in any time soon, my computer is very difficult to control, it devoured my first piece of work, and appears to have digested it.
  However, it has been warned, and things are moving again !! Anyone with really good stuff that you feel would be of interest to elderly ex matelots by all means forward them on to me. Pictures are good, but not anything that women's lib might take me to court over,,( well unless you put them in a plain brown envelope !!!). Anyway , as always the editor has editorial control,but don't be put off by the very high standards I, as an ex Stoker
will obviously be working to, I do not really expect Waffoos and Sand scratchers to use joined up writing all of the time, just do your best. I feel sure there is some interesting stuff out there, and Flat Top will probably need that.
                               Take Care out there

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Top resurrection
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »

A slightly slim lined F.T. has now gone out !!

However, at this years reunion we obtained a volunteer editor, (one who knows what he is doing), our printer has again offered his services in printing the mag ! so hopefully we are rolling again.

What we need is Victorious material, or material about Victorious men. There must be piles of stuff out there, please forward it in any format to either stoker Stan or Topsey. addresses and email in last Flat top.

We will see that it gets to the editor.
  What did you do after Vic ? what did you do on Vic. Do you remember joining Vic. What was good/ not good about the ship. Who do you remember on her.

LETS HAVE IT PLEASE.