Author Topic: Mini-Meet at Lowestoft.  (Read 3164 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Mini-Meet at Lowestoft.
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:08:07 AM »

By Popular demand we are having a mini-meet at Lowestoft ! :D  From 20th August to 26th August we will have a presence in the town. We are proposing a Gala Dinner evening on Thursday 23rd August at a venue not yet decided, but we expect it to be at a handy location central to the town center. Kitchener's Holiday Hotel has rooms for this period, some members have already booked their room. Kitcheners does not have a lot of rooms but in the immediate vicinity there are quite a few hotels and guest houses at reasonable prices. It is appreciated that members may not be able to attend for the week,but the hotels are happy to supply single night or a couple of nights to suit, so come for the Gala night.
    Lowestoft was picked as this years venue, so that we can meet up and have a look at the famous Royal Naval Patrol Service Museum and meet some of their members. The Patrol Service H.Q. is located in Sparrows Nest Gardens in Whapload Road, Lowestoft. NR321XG. This place on its own is worth making the trip for, books have been written about the Trawler men who were gathered here at the out break of the war, and that story is almost beyond belief.
     Full details will be circulated well before August, all members of course welcome,and any guest who may fancy the run, please bring them as well.

More info to follow.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Meet at Lowestoft.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »

KITCHENER'S HOLIDAY CENTRE  for Ex Service men and women.Members are already booked into here for the August Mini Meet. It fills up fast so book soon. Other Hotels in the area are available if Kitchener's is booked
up. Contact Stan for details.

Offline Topsey

• Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
at least 8 of us are booked in for some of the time but all for Thursday  ;D ;D

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »

That is good news Topsey. The thing about being the social secretary, is on every occasion you half expect to be the only one turning up on the day :'( :'( however, our sturdy Victorious members have never failed in their
For those not in the know, Kitchener's does not have a bar licence, being a charitable trust. However, the manager Steve, welcomes the visitors bringing their own refreshment into the excellent lounge, and he was at pains to advise me that he quite enjoyed the odd sipper or two himself.I already have to hand a bottle pf Pussers left from last years reunion, and know this will be supplemented ! If Kitcheners books out, there is an abundance of hotels within view of Kitchener's, I will put up details if they are needed.
    I will be in contact with the Sec of the Patrol Service Association to advise him that it seems very likely that we will be arriving in Lowestoft "Mob Handed", and I think he will not mind. Sparrows Nest is in its self worth the journey, and for any of our ladies who attend, there is a nifty shopping area situated very close to the center.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »

Some members attending the Mini-meet are having a five night stay, to relax and have a look round the area. I understand that some members are sorting out a visit to the Ganges location, (not a place I have ever been).
I am advised that whilst the mast has gone, there is a good |Ganges Museum worth a look.

Details of places of interest etc will be put up nearer the time, but it is hoped that the Thursday will be a visit to Sparrows Nest, followed by an informal Gala dinner when members can congregate.

Again more details re above later. Any suggestions will be well received by Stoker Stan.

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »

I can report that we will also be joined by members of the Yorkshire Fleet Air Arm Association, and York's RNA.

We will be circulating details of whats what shortly.... Watch this space

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »

I believe that a good number of members and friends are now booked into Kitchener's. There are a numbers of decent hotels within easy walking distance of Kitchener's should you find that Kitchener's is full.

Contact Stan or Topsey if you find this to be the case when you inquire. One of our members is going to visit Lowestoft with his wife, soon, to check out for items of interest in the town, and I will put up a detailed report well before our visit.

Keep an eye on this space.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:27:08 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
Well here is the promised up date, re our Lowestoft run.
 Some excellent detailed info about where to go and what to see etc,has been supplied to us from our shipmate Terence Mattless, he has gone to some lengths to collect the info, and put it into rational print. A big thanks to Terence, first tot poured will be yours. Our Hon sec has undertaken to circulate said info to all he can reach in an early News Letter, so please read this, a lot of work has gone into the exercise.
  After some deliberation we have settled on the following plan. A number of us will be arriving at Lowestoft on Monday 20th Aug, departing on Saturday 25th. However, other members are only able to be with us for a limited period,so we are not organizing specific trips, with the exception of a visit to Sparrows nest to meet up with members of the Royal Naval Patrol Service Association. The opening times for the museums is 0930 to 1200, Monday-Wednesday-Friday. However it is likely that I will be able to arrange for us to have a special visit, to make a little formal presentation to them from Victorious. I will confirm this at a later date.
Thursday is the day we will hold our Mini Gala Meeting. On this occasion, we will ask members to assemble at Kitchener s Hotel at 20.00 The manager has kindly agreed for us to have the use of a room, FOC, (Thursday all their rooms are booked by Victorious members) so other hotel guests won't be joining in)... We will have a free bar !! with free beer, wine and of course rum provided by Vic and the committee.. It was suggested that members could now choose to have an evening meal at a venue of their own choosing (and price). I  believe a number of us are to dine at the pier cafe, where excellent fish and chips are served ! anyone wishing to partake will of course be very welcome. Kitchener s is just across the road!!as is the Best Weston where others are billeted !
 We have Pussers rum, and the first toast will be called at 2030, hope everyone makes it.There is a Witherspoons a short walk away, and some very good restaurants along the sea front, again within sight of Kitchener s.
    I am hoping we may have some guests from the Patrol Service joining us, but I will confirm these details later. For members on an extended visit Terence, has identified some interesting places within easy reach, car sharing might be considered. Problems ? Contact me. ps. I understand that there is one room left available at the moment if required at Kitchener's

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »

Have been in contact again with George, Chairman of the Inshore Patrol Association, and he has assured me that members from the said association will be joining us (for the drink).!!!

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »

On our Gala meet in Kitcheners at 20.00 Thursday 23rd August, we hope to have some members from the Inshore Patrol Service. We will have a free bar for the evening and the rum is now in hand.

Hope to see a good crowd there.

Anyone with any difficulties, contact Stan 01132 555562.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 10:11:55 PM »
Excellent Mini Meet    Thanks to all   :)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »
  Well worth the trip, a few of Crashes picture will be revealed . Friday at Sparrows Nest.run round about what the Royal Naval Patrol Service did in the war.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:40:50 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »

We had boarded the Deep Sea Trawler for a trip into the North Sea... Crash had the wheel, but Topsey needed to check if he was ok with the old navigation stuff,and I needed to know that when he rang down for ahead
all engines, he really wanted to go forward !!
Just left the harbor, and would you credit it, we got mugged by a bunch of French fishermen. Crash gave the order to repel boarders, and we had it under control in no time at all.
note Crashes face, you can see he was not pleased at.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:35:12 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »

The MINICARLO is Lowestoft's own sidewinder trawler. Built and worked from the town ! Looked after and preserved by members of the original crew. We had the privilege to meet her original skipper on our visit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:54:30 PM by stokerstan »

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »

Well worth a visit !
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:48:59 PM by stokerstan »