Author Topic: 2009 Reunion  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
2009 Reunion
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »

9th 10th 11th October 

will you be there   ;)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Reunion
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »
oh yes ;D

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »

And me  :)

Offline James Hutton

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • Hutton Web Design
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »
I've got back from my first reunion and I'd like to pen my thoughts - hopefully I'll not tread on too many toes and bruise too many egos.

Firstly though, I'd like to thank everyone who helped a poor little lost web designer feel welcome!

The Venue

Central Coventry for the first time visitor is not a great place to be looking for the hotel whilst trying to navigate through the ring road traffic, looking for some street names and keeping up with the traffic is not a great start (especially after the M6!)

The Hotel itself could do with a bit of a make-over, the rooms are a little tired. Clean, but tired - little things like a broken sink plug, a dripping shower head and a TV with a purple cast all add up to less than favourable first impressions.

Car parking? You mean I have to pay? And it's not part of the hotel? Other hotels have staff to park your car if the car park is off site. It's not a big thing, but for those with mobility problems it's something to think of.

First Impressions

Other than Stan, I had never met any of you - I'd seen some photos, but never met any of you in the flesh. When I arrived, the RAF held centre stage, with the Victorious hidden away. The Victorious desk was not manned - a glaring omission for first timers. A meet and greet for your shipmates and their guests would go a long way to put people at their ease. Could the committee to institute a rota, give a programme of events and maybe a page with pictures of other committee members. A cup of coffee for the weary traveller and a friendly greeting go a long, long way.

Food and Drink

A really nice evening meal on the Friday, a great venue with nice table sizes. The venue afterwards looked a little bare - not sure if that is a problem, but I would have liked to see loads of pictures, etc.

The Gala dinner was a bit of a "curate's egg". The venue was really well decorated, an interesting and informative display. The table looked lovely - Stan's models as the centerpieces were stunning. I'll describe it as cosy when we sat down though! A few inches extra would make all the difference (insert actress / bishop joke here! ;D). The food was good, no problems at all.

The entertainment, speeches and quiz were all excellent. The bar prices were very good.

Breakfast was a bit of a let down though. The staff were very slow to clear and re-set the tables. I had to take a cup from another table - I would have thought that setting a table would include a cup! A long wait for toast - inexcusable at breakfast.

This sounds really negative, and it's not meant to be - it's just the observations of someone who has never been to conference before.

I'd like to thank everyone who made me feel welcome and for all the hard work that all of you put in to making the weekend a success.

James

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »

Thanks to all, who made it work  :)

myself had a excellent LWE.

Offline deepdurks

• Ship's Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »
My First Reunion weekend also, having spent an awful lot of time in hotels recently i must say that you nearly always get exactly what you pay for! granted the hotel is tired, the staff shorthanded & some expected facilities lacking. They are simply trying to portray 3-4 star service on 2 star wages, i found the staff i could find very helpful and friendly.
We had three days bed and breakfast, three evening meals, a coach to Warwick and back, use of a private room and discounted drink prices all for a very reasonable price.
I fully understand the shortcomings experienced by people, and would support a search for a new venue, however, to get a similar package for the price we paid would be a massive, extraordinary achievement. I think therefore that if cost is the main driver then we are stuck with the Britannia Coventry.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »

Stan`s Cake was just right   :)