Author Topic: Ganges Mast.  (Read 7254 times)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Ganges Mast.
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
 I never went to Ganges, but I know a lot of people who did,I also know that you have a very big and quite good association, so it surprises me a bit to read that despite all sorts of reassurances, the famous Mast has still not been saved !! Last month some developer who was expecting to make a bucket full of cash developing the Ganges site seemed to have given word that the mast was safe, today I read in the papers that its not, and in danger of falling down. When the authorities can contemplate flogging off Victory, your mast is certainly an endangered item.
Will Ganges association launch an appeal collect cash, and buy the mast to relocate somewhere safe.
It won't be cheap, but once its gone its gone. Set it up Ganges chairman and I'll send you a couple of quid! :'(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:43:30 PM by stokerstan »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
Re: Ganges Mast.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »

I believe if the Mast is to be saved and maintained,

a place at the National Memorial Arboretum would be a secure place.   but costly

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
 Yes it would cost a lot, but to lose a piece of true heritage like this is a crime !! The Ganges Committe could make a try with a members appeal first, then go National, R.N.A associations etc it would be worth a try, and it would look brilliant as a center piece in the Arboretum

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »

The Mast recently        :(

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »
Daily Mail 21/11/08 ... Question Did any of the thousands of boys who had to climbthe famous mast at H.M.S. Ganges ever fall off ?
Well the article concludes that though there are a bucket load of stories about lads jumping or falling off the mast few can be substantiated, it does however then follow on with a tale about a PTI trying to do a handstand on the botton and falling through the post office roof ?
In the same article the paper goes on to print two letters, one from a lady who's husband fell off the mast, but got a hand on a stay and slide all the way to the ground,(got a rope burn),and a second letter from a chap who saw a rating fall from the Devils Elbow rolled down the shrouds but survived to write about the event in the Ganges mag.
That Mast is worth saving if only for the tales it could tell !!

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:58 AM »

Post office roof    :)

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »
Thats what it says Dave although it does doubt the story as it says the roof was 25 yards away !!

Offline taffj

• Ship's Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »
hi all, i heard the story about the P.T.I. when i where there in 1962, it was the post office roof :-\ I admit the only time i climbed the mast was when it was compusary from the annex, all i remember of that was a badge boy telling me at the elbow thats 'marilyn monroe' hug it for your life, i did.  j/s jones down from aloft. Never did it again.   a great monument should be saved :)
taffj
taffj

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »

taffj    I believe all ex Ganges Boy`s the Mast will be remembered, It`s a shame that it has been left to rot, I say move it and Save it    Dave 

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 08:34:48 PM »
Sorted out at last a way to edit some old VHS tape    from May 4th 1999   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfVKXM-d09Q

Offline Dave

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Long live the Tot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 05:21:19 PM »
5th May 1999    40 years on,   since my first day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zghmQ5_vbFs

Offline stokerstan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 06:53:58 PM »
 Another little gem Crash. But it still seems very odd to me that the whole mast was not saved !!! Keep looking for pictures Crash,
    in a few years time no one will believe that it existed let alone lads climbed up !!!